- "A cold voice answered: 'Come not between the Nazgul and his prey! Or he will not slay thee in thy turn. He will bear thee away to the houses of lamentation, beyond all darkness, where thy flesh shall be devoured, and thy shriveled mind be left naked to the Lidless Eye.'" --the Lord of the Nazgûl said to Éowyn, before she slew him. Write an AU in which she does not slay him and is borne away to these "houses of lamentation" and what follows.
- "Only the waning might of Gondor stands now between him and a march in power along the coasts into the North; and if he comes, assailing the White Towers and the Havens, hereafter the Elves may have no escape from the lengthening shadows of Middle-earth." -- Galdor at the Council of Elrond. Write an AU in which Gondor does fall, as do the Heavens, Sauron conducts a "march of power" to the Havens and the Elves are trapped in Middle-earth with Sauron gaining more and more power.
- "In all the long wars with the Dark Tower treason has ever been our greatest foe." -- Gandalf. Write about a treasonous character. Could be in either age, with whatever character most strikes you to have been treasonous, definitely AU material but does not have to be.
- "And so am I, very dangerous: more dangerous than anything you will ever meet, unless you are brought alive before the seat of the Dark Lord." -- Gandalf. Send someone before the seat of the Dark Lord. Or, even better: Gandalf and Sauron face-off at Barad-dûr.
- "Radagast is, of course, a worthy Wizard, a master of shapes and changes of hue; and he has much lore of herbs and beasts, and birds are especially his friends." --Gandalf. Write something about the shape-changing Radgast.
- "If a man must needs walk in sight of the Black Gate, or tread the deadly flowers of Morgul Vale, then perils he will have." -- Aragorn, about travels in search of Gollum. Write about his travels in the Morgul Vale and before the Black Gate.
- "He will never love me, I fear; for he bit me, and I was not gentle." --Aragorn, about taking Gollum to Mirkwood. Write about Aragorn's not-gentleness toward Gollum.
And one that is totally random, but that I came upon while reading information on Adûnaic at Ardalambion:
- Elendil's name in Adûnaic is Nimruzîr. This is strange, though, because the way the word nimru- (Elf) is used suggests that his name would be translated to "lover of a particular one Elf" rather than "lover of Elves in general". Write Elendil and an Elf, your choice who.